Costa Mesa Homeless: Dave’s Story [Start Here]
February 6, 2013 15 Comments
Dave is 40 years old, and homeless. He lives under a bridge with 2 friends he met on the street.
I met Dave in a Target parking lot, and have been sharing his story on this blog. In response, you’ve showered him with an amazing outpouring of love and support.
If you’re looking to jump to these stories in sequence, here’s where to start:
- Costa Mesa Homeless: My Time With Dave: My first encounter with Dave, which was the result of a seemingly random choice.
- Costa Mesa Homeless: My Time With Dave (Part 2): Our second meeting, where we learn more about Dave’s past — and an idea to help him takes root.
- Costa Mesa Homeless: My Time With Dave (Part 3): The story of Dave’s night in a hotel, provided by you the readers, and what he did with $20 that stunned me.
- Costa Mesa Homeless: My Time With Dave (Part 4): Since readers have entrusted over $1,200 in donations to Dave and his story, I decided to take a tour of the Orange County Rescue Mission, which is where Dave intends to live. I’ve included some pics — it is an amazing place!
- [Video] Costa Mesa Homeless: My Time With Dave (Part 5): Over sandwiches at Panera, Dave reads everything written about him on this blog (including your comments), and writes a thank-you note. Also, he decides to film a short video! See the man whose life you are changing.
How You Can Help
Many of you have asked how you can be a part of writing Dave’s new life story, and here are a few things you can do:
- Share this story. Send it to your friends, post it to Facebook, send links via email.
- Leave Dave a comment on this blog. Tell him where you’re from, and how you heard about his story. I’m going to show him these posts soon. If you have words of encouragement, leave them here. He’ll love reading them.
- Please continue to pray – not only for Dave, but also for me to discern what to do with the energy and momentum these stories have created. Where is it leading?
- Donate. If you feel led to give in any amount, you can do so by clicking here (I’ve set up a special PayPal account). I will oversee the resources you provide, and will give a full accounting of how the money has helped Dave. I’m tracking everything you’ve committed, and taking note of exactly where it goes. I’ll post that soon.
- If you have physical donations, I can arrange to pick them up. If you have questions about what Dave needs, leave those in the comments.
Dave’s life is being changed by people he doesn’t even know, from across the globe. Will you join in making a difference in his life? Every amount counts, no matter how small. Donate here.