[Video] Costa Mesa Homeless: My Time With Dave (Part 5)
February 9, 2013 15 Comments
Earlier today, I met Dave for lunch at Panera, in the same shopping center as the Target we first met.
I brought paperwork from the OC Rescue Mission, including a Program Agreement, Application, and Policies Handbook. He’ll review them over the next few days in preparation for his interview.
Since I took a tour of the location earlier in the week, I also showed him pictures (you can see them here), which he was excited to see. His mental image was much different than what I showed him; he’s pumped!
Last time we spoke, we made plans for him to read the posts I’ve written on this blog, and I wanted him to see your encouraging comments.
To be honest, I was a bit nervous of what he might think as he read the posts, especially because of the pictures. As we sat eating our sandwiches, I told him that I feel he’s great about sharing his feelings, and that I wanted to follow suit by telling him that I feel a little vulnerable sharing the stories with him — but he responded positively, and was extremely encouraging.
In fact, part way through the first post, he was emotional and teared up. It was touching.
He said that up until lately, he has felt very alone, as if there was no one on his side.
Actually, what he said is that there was no one on his “team”.
But because of your support, he now has a “Team Dave” that’s rooting for him, meeting some of his basic needs, and giving him the motivation he needs to take steps forward. Team Dave is giving him support. He said he could feel your support as he waited at the DMV and social security office.
As he read the posts, I asked him what he was thinking, and if his memory of the events is different. It was fascinating to hear what he was thinking during some of the situations (especially our first meeting…he saw me watching him!).
He’d like to share his thoughts with you on this blog, so he’s going to write them down, and I’ll post his words as soon as I get them.
In addition, he wished to express his thanks to everyone who has supported him. He dictated a short letter, which I’m including here:
Dear Team Dave,
I want to express that I’m very grateful for all of your prayers and support. Because of these, I believe my life is turning a corner, in a positive direction.
I’m amazed; thank you very much!
Also, we shot a short video, which was unfortunately a bit shorter than I had hoped, since I ran out of space (too many Abby videos!). He said he was nervous while filming, but he did a great job. I think we may do this again and try to capture more of his story on video. Let me know what you think in the comments.
So for the first time, I present Dave live and in person to his friends in Team Dave. Leave him your thoughts in the comments; he loved reading your last few notes!
How You Can Help
Many of you have asked how you can be a part of writing Dave’s new life story, and here are a few things you can do:
- Share this story. Send it to your friends, post it to Facebook, send links via email.
- Leave Dave a comment on this blog. Tell him where you’re from, and how you heard about his story. I’m now sharing all your comments and encouragement with him. He truly loves reading them!
- Please continue to pray – not only for Dave, but also for me to discern what to do with the energy and momentum these stories have created. Where is it leading?
- Donate. If you feel led to give in any amount, you can do so by clicking here (I’ve set up a special PayPal account). I will oversee the resources you provide, and will give a full accounting of how the money has helped Dave. I’m tracking everything you’ve committed, and taking note of exactly where it goes. I’ll post that soon.
- If you have physical donations, I can arrange to pick them up. If you have questions about what Dave needs, leave those in the comments.
Dave’s life is being changed by people he doesn’t even know, from across the globe. Will you join in making a difference in his life? Every amount counts, no matter how small. Donate here.